Wednesday, June 5, 2013

lately in the kitchen

Cooking has not been stellar.  Even some of my trusted tested recipes have been turning out terribly.  Lack of inspiration plus failures equals a big old meh.  Just today I made a batch of sushi rice with cucumber and salmon in the morning, packed it up all neatly for lunches, and then threw mine out at lunch because the salmon was off. 
At least I don't have to think about cooking as often, since my husband and I have been partially fasting two days a week.  Apparently this diet is all the rage.  I'm skeptical yet going along with it mostly to support my husband.  By the end of the fasting days I am CRANKY AS HELL. 

I'm glad I got into the habit of photographing the lunches, because I forgot about these and they weren't bad.  Also the cookies and muffins below turned out great.
 






otherwise:
grilled cheese (Emmentaler on rye) with sweet and sour red onions, vinegar slaw with cucumber and dill, using somewhat roughly Deb Perelman's The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook from the library

fish sticks with mashed potatoes and spinach

chickpea tomato soup with Sardinian pasta and baby spinach

Nudelpilztopf with too much of a yucky brand of whole wheat pasta and for guests, unfortunately

sesame noodles with broccoli, red peppers, and peanut sauce

carrot raisin salad from a recent Cook's Country for lunches, also kind of yucky

fennel and shitake nimono

vegan oatmeal peanut butter cookies from Isa Chandra

root beer from Gwyneth Paltrow's cookbook, My Father's Daughter, also from the library a few months ago

rhubarb hamantashen and apricot (really plum in the cookbook) poppyseed muffins from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
yum 

2 comments:

  1. Hangry - (adj.) irrationally angry at everyone and everything due to hunger. See 'hanger" for noun form.

    I get that way, too. Your lunches are so inviting looking. I bring a bento lunch a few times a week, but they are definitely not as pretty as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh "hangry" is so accurate! Thanks for the compliment on my food presentation, absolutely not my natural strength. This bento habit is forcing me to pay attention and improve in that area.

    ReplyDelete